Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:16:38 GMT, wrote:

On 27 Oct,
T i m wrote:

Hmm, I can't say I've noticed that particularly. I do have one of
those 'natural light' spiral type CFL's and that is VERY white!

I've a worklight with three CFLs.

Oooh, I was looking at those with the though of being able to rig a
couple on a stand as a field work lamp to go with my little genny (or
inverter if it came to it and assuming it worked). Summat like this
maybe:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yl5nytk

Originally they were all daylight. one
failed and was replaced by a standard (too)warm white. It now look as if it
has two blue bulbs and a red bulb when viewed with them all lit.

Oooerr. Without a doubt if you only exposure to CFL's was this natural
light jobby I've got here you wouldn't like them. You wouldn't think
you could have a light that was too 'white' but you can [1].

The choice of colour temperature of CFLs is very poor, 3000k or 3500k would
be good, 6500k (daylight) is too blue and 2700k (the usual)is too red, but
that's generally all that's available.

Ok.

Many years ago, when my parent's eyes were aging and they had a 200w
incandescent lamp behind their chairs to read by,

(feck!)

I replaced the central 200W
lamp by a 6foot /white/, not /warm/ white, fluorescent, and they never needed
the reading lamps again.

;-)

They'd probably have burned the house down.

And didn't need any heating on either I suspect.

What we need is higher colour temperature CFLs.

No, the last thing any of us need is a choice (too confusing /
frustrating / expensive).

Cheers, T i m

[1] It's part of my gripe about HID headlights. Whilst they may be
great for the rider / driver IMHO they are just_too_bright to be
comfortable when you get a face full of them on a roundabout or
country lane (as will happen no matter how well adjusted they are). As
humans we have a range of comfort. How hot or cold we can be, how much
weight we can lift, how much 'G' force we can take, how much noise we
can stand and how bright a light we can look at without making us
wince. For me, HID headlamps are outside that range.