Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus27237 Ignoramus27237 is offline

Default Starting a home shop?

On 2009-10-27, RogerN wrote:
So far I'm pretty sure I've made over $25,000 in my home shop, one job was
$20K by itself. My home shop cost me the time it took to do the jobs but
has paid off by the money I saved by making parts for myself. I agree it
ruins the hobby to turn it into a business though. If I can do some select
parts on the CNC machines for my employer it could make my monthly payments
and only require I be present to stop the machine if something goes wrong.
Other than that, I want to do fun hobby projects and perhaps sell parts to
others that may be interested in the projects.

All I want in paying work is maybe 50 hours per year. I can be pretty
flexible though, like Iggy mentioned, I can buy stuff and sell for a little
profit. I once bought a lathe for $650, replaced the gear shaft, and sold
for $1400. I bought a lathe at an auction for $65 and sold for $350. But
if I don't make a dime off the shop it will be OK, I'd prefer it pay a
little though.

The use of the shop under this scenario, is testing, cleaning up, and
fixing of the machines for resale.