Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:49:44 +0000, Clint Sharp wrote:

So I have to handle each object twice? Once to scan and place on
platform, then again to take off platform and place on conveyor so

can put the next item on?

No, every item has to be weighed but it's weighed on the platform where
you bag it, you scan the item, the machine goes off, looks up the
barcode in the database and tells you to bag the item, it then waits
until it sees the platform scale register an increase in weight that
corresponds with the weight that is in the database for that item.

How can I bag it? The bagging area is 8' away at the other end of the
conveyor. Read what I wrote.

Which then begs the question why not just have a conveyor onto

which
you place the goods, that then trundles the goods through a

scan/ID
area? Conveyor could have regular marks down it on which each item
should be (more or less) placed.

Not really necessary with a decent barcode scanner,

Agreed but I was trying to make it simple as the scanners they
currently have are pretty crap. It also enables the system to get a
good look at the items and identify them that way as well.

RFID, I wonder. Have to be pretty short range and directional for it
to be 100% sure that a given product response is from a product in a
given trolly not in the next checkout or on the rack next to the
checkout. And how about shopping from a another store that you have
with you that is also stocked in this store?

--
Cheers
Dave.