Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Do dimmer switches work with Low Energy Bulbs?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:51:34 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) had this to say:

In article . com,
Jules writes:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:40:33 +0000, David Hansen wrote:
Manufacturers may try and get the law changed, they do have a lot of
power in the undemocratic halls of the EU. However, I doubt if they
have the power to change this particular and very sensible law.

Is the problem that they can't sell them - or that they can't make them?
If the former, maybe they could continue production and just trade bulbs
for chocolate bars or something.

The law is supposed to be no manufacture or import into the EU.
Selling remains perfectly legal.

However, I caught the tail-end of the reports a few weeks back
about the legislation having been wrongly enacted in the UK and
currently being unenforceable. Didn't catch any details of what
they got wrong though.

ISTR that the Statutory Instrument for banning the manufacture or
import of light bulbs was tagged on to an enabling Act which didn't
cover light bulbs... :-)

--
Frank Erskine