Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default B&Q self checkout machines

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
So I have to handle each object twice? Once to scan and place on
platform, then again to take off platform and place on conveyor so I
can put the next item on?

No, every item has to be weighed but it's weighed on the platform where
you bag it, you scan the item, the machine goes off, looks up the
barcode in the database and tells you to bag the item, it then waits
until it sees the platform scale register an increase in weight that
corresponds with the weight that is in the database for that item.
This is progress?

Opinions may vary but I generally use them at Tesco because they can be
very fast late at night when I do my shopping. If I have more than a bag
of items then I use a normal checkout.

I suspect the Tesco ones are (trying) to be a bit more clever. They
complain about "unexpected item" and there are what look like little
cameras looking at the conveyor. I suspect it can tell the difference
between Tesco Value beans and Heinz...

Perhaps... I wouldn't be at all surprised but the bag only ones aren't.

Which then begs the question why not just have a conveyor onto which
you place the goods, that then trundles the goods through a scan/ID
area? Conveyor could have regular marks down it on which each item
should be (more or less) placed.

Not really necessary with a decent barcode scanner, of course, RFID is
the way forward for this, run your trolley past the sensor and it's all
read in an instant, tallied up and charged to your RFID credit card too.
Ideal for fraud, someone nicks your contactless card and has at it with
dozens of drive through small transactions.

--
Clint Sharp