Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Breaker panel, code for height from floor

On Oct 26, 8:36*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 26, 12:22*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 26, 1:50*pm, DD_BobK wrote:
On Oct 26, "Existential Angst" wrote:

I know that the NEC code (and NYC code) specifies that a "standard" wall
outlet can't be below X inches above the floor -- 4" (at one time), iirc.

Is there a similar code for breaker panels? *And is there a *maximum* height
above the floor, as well?
Curious as to what the various codes are in various locales, esp. in
NYC/Westchester.

I just happened to ask my own personal NEC code guru this very
question. *

the answer
no minimum height, max is 6' 6"
with a 30" x 30" x 6' 6" volume clear (no fixed objects) in front the
panel.

Hmmm, the 06 IRC and the 05 NEC seem to be in agreement according to
my stuff, and they're a bit different from what your guru told you.
The maximum height of the breaker is 6' 7" and the minimum height of
the working space is 6' 6" x 30" wide by 36" deep.

Looks like I need a new guru (or one with a better memory).....

Now I know who to ask for answers to my electrical questions. *

Errrr, I wouldn't let the guru go just yet. He was close enough for
spit, and I have to look stuff up to verify. I remembered the 6' 6"
working space, but when someone posted the 6' 7" breaker height, that
seemed odd so I had to look it up. I wonder why they wouldn't just
make both requirements the same number? Needless fussing for an
inch. An inch hardly matters...most of the time!