Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where do I get this part for an oil furnace? Has the furnace died?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 07:32:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 26, 4:13*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Don't know. I do very little oil work. Might be an asbestos
gasket, but most likely no gasket.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

news On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:25:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
A heating and AC wholesale parts house might have it. Or,

I guess I should have thought of that. *Thanks.

Do you know if I also need some sort of caulk or gasket to
attach this
part to the firebox and to the flue? *I can't see what's
under the
flange, but there seems to have been nothing between the
other, round
flange on this box and the flue.

I think it wore out earlier than it would have because the
humidifier
overflowed on a few occasions and the top of this got wet.

I told them the problem, and said I was trying to avoid an
added call
by their tech to see what is wrong, and they've postponed
the
cleaning.

Keep in mind that there are substantial tax credits this year that
could apply to a new furnace. With a 20+ year old unit, you could
get a new higher efficiency one and now might be the time.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, assuming one pays that much in
taxes, one can get back up to 1500 dollar for furnaces, 30% of what
one actually spends. So at the price he quoted 4500, I could get a
tax credit of 1350 dollars.

This opportunity is good until the end of 2010, and the total can only
be 1500.

For someone who doesn't make enough money to pay 1350 in taxes, it
seems that this credit can't be carried forward, but there are some
credits that are unlimited and the unused amount can be carried
forward, but I'm not sure if it is one year or until it is used up.

But I don't want to be rushed when I pick out the furnace, and winter
is coming. One place told me two weeks from ordering it to finishing
it and of course they might be delayed. I should be able to get this
welded in a day, and finished an hour or two later. So I'm going out
to some welding shops now to see what they can do.

Chris, the problem with screws and poprivets is that the box has to be
gas-tight. Or the gases that the draft doesn't suck up will enter my
house I'm going to look for hi-temp silicone and see if that would
be enough to seal something like that.