Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Oct 26, 7:18*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:

On Oct 25, 2:45=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

How much power can be supplied by a 200A, 240V service? 24kVa, or 48kVA?

That's been asked an answered many times in this thread. *It's 48,

Very good. Now divide 48kVA by 120V and tell me what you get.

Again, this has been answered here repeatedl, so I don't see why you
keep asking.. One more time, it's obviously 400 amps.

Also, you only get those 400 amps if the load is balanced so that it
appears as a series load. The 200 amp current flows in one hot and
out the other. If you had a single 120V 400 amp load, it would sit
between one hot leg and neutral, where the capacity is limited to 200
amps and the cables would melt. Gee, I wonder why? Could it be
because the actual current in a 200 amp service circuit is only 200
amps?

You can divide and get any answer you want. I could divide 48KVA by
10volts and get 4800 amps. So a 200 amp service could support a
total 4800 amp, 10 volt load too. But how much max current is
actually flowing in the service cable entering the house? Exactly
the same as always, 200 amps. If you believe otherwise, please tell
us what currents are flowing in each of the three conductors.