Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:34:28 +0000, T i m wrote:

FWIW we don't have central heating either and haven't had any heating
on this year yet. There were days when we probably would have turned
it on but we just put a jumper on instead.

We put jumpers on as well but even so the heating is now starting to
kick in fairly regulary and the oil consumption is now at double the
summer use per week but still only about half that of the winter use
level.

Seems to me that this is a valid point, and one that is totally

ignored
by the green mist brigade, when they vilify the humble, simple and

cheap tungsten lamp, for its claimed planet-damaging inefficiency

I don't think it's relevant. The amount of heat given off by a
tungsten lamp will be lost if you open the door. It's a tiny amount
compared to that required for space heating.

p.s. I normally write the install date on these CFL's when I install
them. I recently replaced one that was over 10 years old and it is
used every day for about 6 hours (it's on a time switch so ~22,000
hours). If it was a 20W CFL and gave off the equivalent light to a 60W
and if it cost me £5 10 years ago, would it have saved me any money
over a 60W incandescent?

(22,000 * 20)/1000 = 440kWhrs
@ 10p/unit = £44.00
+ £5 bulb = £49.00

(22,000 * 60)/1000 = 1320kWhrs
@ 10p/unit = £132.00
+ 11 bulbs @ 20p = £134.20

£85.20 saving.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I don't think that electricity was 10p a unit ten years ago, was it ? It
only went up to this level when we started importing the stuff from Johnny
Foreigner, and the greedy energy companies started claiming a link to the
price of oil to justify ridiculous price hikes ...

Arfa