Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On 27 Oct, 15:55, Mike Clarke wrote:

They are available but relatively expensive and not very common. Anything
over 11W needs to run cap down to avoid frying the electronics.

Is this true of all of them? I thought it applied to the sticks, but
there were now spirals that were deliberately arranged to cope with
this.

It's not true at these power levels at all.
It starts to become a concern over 25W, which are pretty
impossible to find in the UK without going to mail order,
and getting some make which won't know how lamp life is
calculated in the EU.

Lamp life of GLS BC lamps has to be measured cap-up, and
that's also true of CFL retrofits. This is probably the
reason you don't see many above 25W. (This doesn't apply
to ES lamps though, and that's probably why I can buy
a 30W ES CFL in homebase, but not a BC one.)

--
Andrew Gabriel