Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

Arfa Daily
wibbled on Tuesday 27 October 2009 09:55

So there we have it. Lots of responses in 12 hours, and not a single one
seems to be in favour of these dreadful things,

Technically I'm not against all CFLs. I have some "Prolight" 30W and 25W
daylight ones and I'm very pleased with them. They light up like a mini sun
and the colour is excellent for renovation work, including painting.

But they cost somewhat more than 99p.

so why are we all sitting
on our arses, and just accepting all this ecobollox, and the crap that
they are foisting on us as a result of the twisted 'science' that is
man-made global warming' ?

Because not many people can think for themselves. Many who can made it here
in a self selecting way.

What has happened to the spirit of the British
people ?

It's dead. They're too busy watch random crap on the brain sucking box.

On the speed limit thing, they have been messing with them all around our
village. They have reduced some, and shifted others such that any journey
in the area is now a highly frustrating exercise in speedo-watching, as
the local woodentops have found somewhere to hide just around a corner
from where a re-placed 30mph starts, and the local 'nothing-better-to-dos'
have joined that scheme where they get loaned a speed gun, and get to
point it importantly at hapless motorists as they come around the corner.
I have lived here for 35 years, and there is absolutely no evidence at all
that this piece of road represents any danger to anyone, nor ever has
done. I have never known it to be a stretch where people do anything other
than a safe 'instictive' speed, which if you try it, tends to be 30mph
give or take a few mph, anyway.

But my point is that a friend of mine got nicked there a few days back. He
was coasting down from the preceding 40mph limit, to the 30mph one he was
entering. A copper leapt out at him as he came round the corner, and had
him for 35mph. Ten yards further on, he would have been as close to 30mph
as didn't matter. The copper came over to him, and patronisingly asked him
if he had any idea why he had been stopped. "Now let me think ..." said my
friend. "Could it be because I was SPEEDING ... ?"

15 years ago, I had an old Maestro, the one with the digital dash. I was
doing (apparantly) 43mph along an open stretch on the A25 outide of a
village but just into the 30 limit. It's a vastly open road with excellent
visibility and whilst I don't condone excessive speeding, I was young and
it wasn't teh worst place to be going a bit over the limit.

Anyway, mr piggy bounces out from behind a bush (literally) waving his arms
and a speed gun. "Do you know how fast you were going sir?" Methinks to
myself: "Crap! 40 is a fine for sure".

Him: Shows me the gun... "38"

I nearly said "Is that all?" but somehow I managed to gag that and look
contrite.

He let me off, saying the Gatso down the road probably got me already. Like
us locals don't know where our own cameras are...

To be fair to him, that bit of road being vastly open and straight, does
attract some right pillocks doing 60+, so he was probably more after them.

The copper then went
on to try to get him to attend a speed rehabilitation course in exchange
for a reduced fine and no points. My friend told him in no uncertain terms
to stick his rehabilitation program up his arse, and to get on with
writing out the ticket, as he hadn't got time to sit there all day
debating whether or not he was a bad person in need of re-education.

Nice approach.

Now *that's* the sort of stand we should all be taking against all this
crap, and what we would have been doing before we all got neutered by fear
of offending all these groups, or breaking laws that have been pushed
through without our knowledge, to back up this process of neutering ...

It's the subtle introduction of "though crime" that's most worrying. You try
to start a reasoned and balanced debate on "Is excessive immigration bad
for Britain" without being instantly labelled as BNP.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...