Posted to alt.home.repair

Default woodburning stove for office/shop

I've heard those "airtight" stoves are good. Allows for a
slow burn, and you're feeding the stove less often. People
with "catalytic converter" tell me they break easily, and
gosh awful expensive to replace. I'd avoid the catalytic if
possible. I do believe Ed is right, cast iron will be more
effective than sheet metal. Maybe more pricey, too.

Some stoves have a water heater loop. If you're a handyman,
you may be able to use the stove to heat a tank of water,
and then use the hot water to heat with a pump and
radiators. Water stores a lot of heat. The advantage is you
could heat the tank during the day, and then the hot water
would release heat over night, so you're not getting up at 2
AM to pee and feed the stove. Just quick pee, and go back to
bed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I've not kept up with brands of stoves but most any of the
popular brands
should be reasonably efficient. I'd stick with cast iron
over sheet metal.
Yes, you can get low cost stoves, but they are not going to
work as well as
the better stoves. Less efficiency means shorter burns, more
wood to haul,
less heat on the really cold days. You may be able to get a
used stove at
reasonable price too.

As for hedge burning hot and turning stoves red, that would
be poor quality
stoves or careless use. Any wood can make a stove glow red
if not properly
controlled. A thermostatic air damper will easily prevent
it.