Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default woodburning stove for office/shop

"coloradotrout" wrote in message

Any thoughts on a low cost wood burning stove? Hedge burns hot --
I've heard stories of it turning stoves red.

I have a simple, low-slope, gabel roof, in case that influences the
chimney pipe.

I've not kept up with brands of stoves but most any of the popular brands
should be reasonably efficient. I'd stick with cast iron over sheet metal.
Yes, you can get low cost stoves, but they are not going to work as well as
the better stoves. Less efficiency means shorter burns, more wood to haul,
less heat on the really cold days. You may be able to get a used stove at
reasonable price too.

As for hedge burning hot and turning stoves red, that would be poor quality
stoves or careless use. Any wood can make a stove glow red if not properly
controlled. A thermostatic air damper will easily prevent it.