Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default Appraisal guidelines

Wes wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:

A while back, someone posted a few suggestions for appraising a
collection, as in Joe Schmoe's widow wants to get rid of the closet
full of guns her husband shot and hunted with. I did something like
this a few years ago and was a bit put out when they sold it all to
someone else without asking if I was interested in any of it.

What I remember about the post was that there were some guidelines for
an agreement about how the appraiser would be compensated for his effort.

Anybody remember this?

I don't remember this. Do you subscribe to the cruffler list?

Yes.

I made the same post there, in rec.guns and in Dutch's Tea Room.

Don't feel bad, I apraised a widows husbands machine shop, made an offer on one item. Bid
that exact amount at the auction and lost out to the only other bidder, someone that
wanted it just a bit more than I did.

Why does Fladermyer guide stick in my head? I can't seem to google it at the moment. Am
I thinking of something not related?

Dunno, I have an older Flayderman's guide, but that's mostly antiques.
I'll look through it to see if there's anything on appraisal etiquette.

From your question, I'm going to assume you are not a professional appraiser or you would
already know the answer.

Nope, just one of the local gun guys.

David