Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:07:50 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

They wait until the item is on the scales before they allow the next one
to be scanned. It can be a real pain.

This requirement to "weigh" items that don't need weighing (tins of
beans etc) might be where the instructions are failing. I scan an
item, it beeps to acknowledge the scan (eventually, the scanners seem
very slow and unreliable, yes I have tried just zooming the object
through, going through slowly, pausing in front of the window all to
no apparent effect on the reliabilty). Then I put the tin of beans or
what ever (that doesn't need weighing) on the conveyor. The scales,
IIRC, are built around the scanner like on the manned checkouts not a
seperate platform.

Q someone that doesn't know the bit the bags are on is a big set of
scales saying they don't have to weigh everything. 8-)

Different design of self op checkout. They do have the small ones
that have a basket trough, scanner, bagging area but on the big ones
designed to take trolly loads the "bagging area" is more like 8 foot
from the the scanner.

--
Cheers
Dave.