Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Where do I get this part for an oil furnace? Has the furnace died?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:57:55 -0700 (PDT), Mark
wrote:

On Oct 26, 1:46*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:38:52 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
On Oct 26, 9:43*am, mm m wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:25:32 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
A heating and AC wholesale parts house might have it. Or,

I guess I should have thought of that. *Thanks.

Do you know if I also need some sort of caulk or gasket to attach this
part to the firebox and to the flue? *I can't see what's under the
flange, but there seems to have been nothing between the other, round
flange on this box and the flue.

I think it wore out earlier than it would have because the humidifier
overflowed on a few occasions and the top of this got wet.

I told them the problem, and said I was trying to avoid an added call
by their tech to see what is wrong, and they've postponed the
cleaning.

take a couple digicam photos and take the camera to your big
box hardware store. I know one small town hardware that has
a lot of heating parts and pieces.- Hide quoted text -

When there is fire in the chamber, do the exhaust gasses flow thru
this pipe on the way to the chimney? *If so, you are risking a fire or
air poisoning if you don't replace this part.

You're right. *I absolutely have to replace the part. *The oil company
guy said that Carrier doesn't have it anymore, so I'm going to call
local heating supply stores.

Any other ideas where to look?

It's called the Flue Collector, and connects the firebox to the flue.

It's not sheet metal. *It's steel. *If I can't buy one, I was thinking
that I could get a welder to weld a new layer of steel over the part
that is thin. * *It's open at one end, and I think the other 4 sides
are good. *

They've removed identical furnaces from here when my townhouse
neighbors replace them, but I guess they are crushed and recycled, and
don't sit in junk yards.

*But, if this metal is
so thin, what about the entire fire box?????

Good question. *I think, and the repair manager at my oil company
agreed, that the rust here was accelerated a lot because the
humidifier overflowed and dripped water on the top of this part.

Doesn't the furnace cleaning guy warn the customer when the firebox is
leaking? *I asked last time and he said it was good.

And I've been using a CO detector and it hasn't gone off, and last
winter I put cloves in the firebox but didnt' smell anything where the
heat came out of the vents.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

if its a small hole, like the size of a big nail, do not worry, often
there is a hole like this where a technician will place a thermometer
probe to measure the exhaust temperature.

I had a hole like that when I bought the house, and someone had
screwed a screw into it.

If the hole is that small and worries you, get some metal tape to
place over the hole or muffler patch etc and seal it.

Then after a furnace cleaning, I found a second hole and it did worry
me. Thanks for the info. Next time it won't worry me, I had some
metal tape and I covered it.

This hole is much bigger, 4 inches. It probably didn't exist until I
tried to shopvac the area. I'm going to try some more to get an
original replacement somewhere, and then I think I'll get a welding
guy to cover it with another layer. Sort of like on the A-team when
they take a car and cover it with scraps of metal. Except a much
better fit.

For the same momey, maybe I could buy an arc welder and do it myself.
Should I?

The pieces are 14"x18", 14x2,14x19, and two trapezoidal pieces about
5x18. Since appearance doesn't mattter, maybe it would be a great
beginners project.

I won't need a jig since I can just put on a little glue to hold the
pieces to the original.

.....although how will an arc welder work if the two pieces to be
welded are resting on the same iron or steel box.?

Mark