Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

[snip]

WHERE is it?

1 amp in each of the two hot legs --

Of course. The problem is WHERE is the 2A.

which with respect to 120V loads, are
effectively two separate parallel circuits.

No. That would require identical sources. These sources are not
identical, but opposite. The difference can be up to 339V (the peak
value for 240V RMS).

In the circuit you describe there is ZERO current in the neutral. This
is the same as the neutral not being there (current in that wire is 0A
in either case). What you have is a SERIES circuit. It is the same
current going through both resistors, therefore addition is not
appropriate here.

This reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago. Three 12-year-old
boys wished they could vote. Since the voting age was 18, the boys
decided that if they went together they'd get 2 votes.

12 + 12 + 12 = 18 * 2

The fact that you can do arithmetic doesn't mean it's appropriate to
do so.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster