Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Snow Blower Manufacturers

Van Chocstraw wrote:
hibb wrote:
Howdy again folks.

Looks like I am going to purchase a snow blower pretty soon. I am
thinking of doing it now because I am afraid that prices will go up
when the snow starts. It's likely I won't even need it here in
Southern Michigan until late December or even in January.

The two manufacturers I have notices so far are the Poulands they
sell at the Farm, Home and Family store and the Troy-Bilt at Lowes.
The prices on both seem pretty close and I will make sure to double
check but they all seemed to be similarly powered and sturdy build.

The ones I am looking at are the 24" to 28" that would cost between
about $600 to $900.

My driveway is about 50' long and we really only get a few serious
snow storms a year. I can't even remember when I last ditched my
tennis shoes for a pair of boots unless I was going out into the
woods in the winter. But when we do get a good snow storm it is too
much for me to try to shovel.

Anyway, if any of you have anything good or bad to say about those
two manufacturers, or recommend others, please do so.

Thanks, David

I would buy a used one in the spring if I were you.
Probably get one for $100 or $200 at that time. If you are gonna use
it 3 time a year and new one is a bad investment. It will be used
next year anyway.

Do some research, you may find that both are made by the same company, the
one I am thinking of makes most private brands and a number of their own
brands. Built for price not quality nor longivity. Buy used and you may end
up with it at the end of the machine's life.

Check on a mower/landscape equipment dealer for the brands they carry.
Airens is one that comes to mind, there are a few others that make quality
equipment. Don't buy a cheap one, there is nothing worse than having to
repair a poorly built unit in 10 degrees below weather while the snow piles
up, requiring you to hand shovel your way out to get parts. Been there and
done that, never again.