Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary H[_4_] Gary H[_4_] is offline

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:55:15 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Oct 24, 2:17=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

..com, wrote:

[...]
What voltage do you measure between a and b? Between c and b?

120 Volts
120 Volts

What current do you measure between a and b? Between c and b?

1 amp and it's THE SAME 1 AMP current. It just gets counted twice.
Which once again is my point.

Umm, no, actually, that's *my* point: it's counted twice. *Two* amps at 120V.

That makes no sense. 1A counted twice is 1A. No amount of counting
changes what exists.

I'm alone in my room. Therefore, counting the number of people in the
room shows 1. Now, I look in a mirror and count again. Now there's TWO
people in the room.

You have ONE 50-foot rope. Every time you see rope count it. Now you
have 10 ropes.

There is only 1 amp flowing in the
actual complete circuit, just like there is only a maximum of 200
physical amps flowing in a 200 amp service.

OK, so there's 120V @ 1A flowing between a and b = 120W. And there's 120V @ 1A
flowing between b and c = 120W. Total = 240W.

240W / 120V = 2A

In a house, here's how the same thing happens. I hook a 120Volt
light bulb that draws 1 amp on one hot leg and a 120volt fan that
draws one amp on the other hot leg. The 1 amp current comes in one
leg, goes through the bulb, through the fan and out the other hot
leg. That's still an actual current of only 1 amp, though it runs
through two 1 amp loads.

Wrong. Two 1 amp loads = *two* amps, not one.

You still haven't shown where that TWO amp current is.

Is it in the first load? There's just 1A there.
Is it in the second load? There's just 1A there.
Is it in the first supply wire? There's just 1A there.
Is it in the second supply wire? There's just 1A there.
Is it in the neutral wire? There's ZERO current there.
Is it in the air? There's heat there, but no current.

WHERE is it?

[snip]