Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kill a Watt(tm) power meters

On Oct 25, 9:36*am, homer wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 23:16:31 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Anybody familiar with them? *Is the "EZ" (model P4460) worth an
extra $15 over model P4400?

I want to see how much electricity my freezers, TV sets, computers,
etc are *really* using, plus check the frequency stability of my
portable generator and that little inverter than I mounted in my truck.

Thanks,
Bob

It may not work on a freezer. *It has built in over current protection
that kills power to the device and a freezer may be too much to
handle. *I know I cant get a reading off my fridge because the
compressor start up current is over this limit.

I'd definitely get the EZ model. It's worth the small addional cost.
You can enter the cost of electricity per KWh and it then will
directly display how much it costs to run the load per day, week,
month or year. You can just leave it up on the display and watch it
update, glance at it during the day, etc. Much better than just
seeing XX Kwh and having to manually do the translation.

Good news is Costco has them for $27.

Bad news is that about 6 months ago I bought one and it was bad. One
push button did not work at all. Took it back and got another one.
That one, a different button didn't work at all. So, I waited
hoping the crap ones would clear out. Bought one last week and it's
working perfectly, at least so far.....

I've put one on two refrigerators, a 24 year old one and a new one.
It worked on both.