Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Default Dying monitor

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Dell-branded Sony Trinitron. Has been working wonderfully for many years
up until now. It's starting to turn itself off; the relay clicks, the
power light goes out and all goes dead. Turning it off for a few minutes
revives it, but I'm afraid this might be a chronic condition that will
only get worse. (It's the same relay that clicks when powered on and
when the monitor "wakes up", I assume.)

Anyone know any common causes for this, and how to fix? It's a really
nice tube, and I can't afford anything else at this point anyhow.

My guess is the CRT is drawing more current as it ages. Eventually it
reaches the point that the X-ray protection circuitry shuts it down.
The protection circuitry might also be degrading with age so that it's
more sensitive than it should be. You could try turning down the
brightness. Fixing it probably isn't economic unless you can find
another one just like it but with a different problem that you can use
for parts.