Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Gear Motor Failure Modes?

"Wild_Bill" wrote in
:

You might want to consider some of the Oriental Motor models in your
search. New ones, at very reasonable prices used to be frequently
available on eBay. They're very reliable, fully enclosed, AC
reversible PSC gearmotors with ball bearing rotor and gear shaft
support.

The OM gear boxes come in a wide variety of ratios, and mount
similarly to the Grainger example, with 4 bolts.

I looked at the OM web site, and their search engine is totally useless.
It also appears that their frame sizes are slightly off. The mounting
holes for the Dayton/Bison motors that appear to be a drop in replacement
are on 2.65" centers. The closest OM has is 2.89", which won't be nearly
close enough. I couldn't really find an equivalent motor. There should
be plenty of Daytons & Bisons around, I just need to wait until the right
one surfaces.

Doug White