Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Hanging drywall

In article , stryped wrote:
What would be the best way to hang drywall on a 30 feet long by 10
feet high wall? I bought a book and it says to have as few seems as
possible but it also says to avoid butt joints.

I can buy 4x12 and hang it parallel to the studds and have no butt
joints.

If you're going to hang it parallel to the studs, why would you even think
about using 4x12 for a 10-foot wall? What's wrong with 4x10???

Or I could buy 4x16 and hang it perpendicular to the studs but
will have but joints but less total joints.

Unless you have a capable helper, don't even consider using anything longer
than 4x12. Even that can be a b*tch to handle. 16 is way too long for one
inexperienced person to manage.

Either 4x10 vertically, or 4x12 horizontally. Heck, do one wall one way, and
the opposite wall the other way -- then you can decide which one works better
for you.