Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Smoke detectors

On Oct 24, 10:06*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 24, 10:26*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,

*RicodJour wrote:

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files//PD...mokeAlarms.pdf
From page 59 of that report:

"Aging Home Smoke Alarms

snip

*Zero* mention of any scientific evidence *whatsoever* that age alone
would render a smoke alarm inoperative. Absolutely NOTHING to suggest
the rationale behind the guideline of replacing them every ten years.

Are you *quite* sure about THAT? *Perhaps *you* could contact the NFPA
(already capitalized) and ask to SEE their data. *I'm *sure* that
statistically SPEAKING one could determine the *likelihood* of HALF of
the *inoperative* smoke DETECTORS being over TEN *YEARS* OLD. *It is
*very* UNLIKELY that it would be a *random* occurrence.

Your words carry no more weight with the unseemly emphasis than
usual. *The NFPA - silly folk with a predilection for creating
arbitrary standards - have absolutely no data with which to back up
their recommendation. *You should write an angry letter. *Use a lot of
emphasis to show you really mean it.

If NFPA takes replacement figures from companies like Honywell, ADT
etc, and im sure they do, then the figures are BS considering what has
happened to me at several buildings. I get a false alarm, I would call
my alarm co. They would send out a tech who would immediatly keep the
complete conversation on how its best to replace all sensors because
of age. This started about 15 years ago. After a few false alarms I
started cleaning the detectors myselfe but realised my failures were
bugs or dust, In about 25 years with the same sensors, all false
alarms were bugs or dust.

Understand the motive the tech has, he can likely make 5x more every
day, in kickback, if he can sucker you into replacment of a part
ranther than charge for just time. At the 150$ I was quoted per sensor
there is enough padded in that price, [ probably 7-9x markup] to give
the tech a nice incentive bonus to sucker you on a new unit.

My opinion is those figures, and the fear of replacement are pure
Bull****. I look at it like a new car dealer, take any new car in
after 15-20000 miles driving and if you tell them just fix everything,
you will always walk out $500-2000 poorer.

I say test your detector and blow them out every 6 months, save your
money, its possible to get defective chinese crap anyway.