Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Need help with wiring questions

"gwandsh" wrote in message
This weekend I had planned to add a 1000 watt electric heater to an
existing circuit with three similar heaters on it. The other heaters
are 750 watt, wired 240, and draw 2.7 amps each. The circuit is 30
amps, so I expected to pony the new heater (4.5 amps @ 240V) off the
wire to one of the existing heaters, and still not challenge the
breaker.

I was surprised to find the wire to the circuit I planned to pony from
was a 14/2. I traced it back to the junction box, and found each of
the heaters was serviced by a 14 gauge wire. Then I was horrified to
find that the wire from the panel to the main junction box for all
circuits was also a 14 gauge. Even at low amperage, I would expect at
least a 12 gauge, maybe 10?

So, I have shut off the circuit pending some advice on how to wire it
safely. I expect my options are :

1 - Panel-Junction box 10 gauge. Junction box to each heater 12
gauge.
2 - Panel-junction box 12 gauge. Junction box to each heater 12
gauge.
3 - Panel- junction box 12 gauge. Junction box to each heater 14
gauge.

The final load on the circuit at 240V will be about (if all was on at
full blast) 13.5 amps. We have never turned on any more than two of
the heaters, but I am pretty sure the proper calculation would require
the worst case scenario.

Can anybody tell me what the best wiring combination is? I will ask
my electrician to do the final connection of the panel to the junction
box, but I would like to have the wiring from the junction box to the
heaters in place to save some bucks.

tnx in advance

I agree with Doug, the existing wiring is fine, with the exception of the 30
amp breaker. Replace it with a double 15, and keep your new wiring on a
separate 15 amp circuit