Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Need help with wiring questions

In article , wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:37:59 -0700 (PDT), gwandsh
wrote:

This weekend I had planned to add a 1000 watt electric heater to an
existing circuit with three similar heaters on it. The other heaters
are 750 watt, wired 240, and draw 2.7 amps each. The circuit is 30
amps, so I expected to pony the new heater (4.5 amps @ 240V) off the
wire to one of the existing heaters, and still not challenge the
breaker.

[...]

You are talking about 10.4a or so. (2500w @ 240v = 10.42a)

As I pointed out in another post, his numbers are wrong, but so are yours.
3 * 750W + 1000W = 3250W = 13.5A @ 240V.

You do need to size at the smallest conductor on the circuit.
I would just put a 2 pole 15a breaker on that circuit and get on with
your life being perfectly legal.

This would be good advice if your numbers were right. They're not, and he will
create a hazard if he adds that 1000W heater to the existing circuit.