Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Don Ocean[_2_] Don Ocean[_2_] is offline

Default Hot Water Furnace Additive?

RBM wrote:
"bobted" wrote in message
After draining my gas hot water boiler system, is there any sort of
water additive I should add (e.g. anti-corrosive) when I refill it?
And if so, how?

Thanks!

There is antifreeze made for boilers, which is typically pumped into the
system

Fer Petes sake. Once the water is added back in to the system it is
purged of corrosive content by the heat. You don't need any additive
whatsoever, unless you are going to leave it inoperative for a long
spell or it is going to be in freezing conditions. It is wise to bleed
the system after a few days, unless you have automatic bleeders. Most
do. Don't let one of them that Union guys near it. They have been known
to urinate into the feedwater. They think it cleans up their drug test. ;-p