Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Oct 23, 10:34*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , JIMMIE wrote:

On Oct 23, 9:41=A0am, bud-- wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

You shouldnt have more than 160 amps on any one leg or 80% of 200..

As Doug has probably been saying, the 80% limit is for continuous loads
(over 3 hours). Major loads in a house are not likely continuous. A
circuit breaker can operate at its full capacity, but may trip if at
full capacity for over 3 hours.

Its doubtfull you would ever pull more than 100 amps on a house wired
with a 200 amp panel. Worse case in my house would be WELDER, HVAC,
OVEN, and SPA running all at once.

Exactly. So why do you keep talking about the 80% rule? It doesn't apply.

Of course if wife and daughter are
both doing their hair at the same time that may put me over the top.

Do they take three hours to dry their hair? While the welder, HVAC, oven and
spa are all running? For three hours?

The 80% rule applies _only_ to continuous loads -- which is clearly and
specifically defined in the Code.

At the time I read it a continuous power situation is the only thing
that made sense to me. Having the flu and taking codeine will change
ones sense quite a bit. Sorry, you are correct.