Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default rubber base moulding

gpsman wrote:
I got a volunteer, but he don't know what he's doing, and I can't tell
him.

It ain't sticking too good and the out corners are a mess.

Who got the tips?

Thanks!
-----

- gpsman

Nobody else said it, so I will- does the base molding need to be wiped
down with something first, to get the manufacturing lube off of it so
glue will stick to it? Last time I painted a plastic car bumper cover, I
had to wipe it down with a degreasing solvent- some sort of 'liquid
sandpaper' stuff- for the paint to get a bite. New extruded plastic
oozes and outgasses- I suspect the surface is just too slick or greasy
for the glue. If you are afraid solvent will turn the base molding to
goo, maybe scuffing the back up with a industrial scotchbrite pad (the
brown kind, not the green kind like for kitchens) would give a better bite.

Of course, I could be full of crap, never having worked with plastic
base before. I'll need to if I ever fix up the main bathroom here,
though, so I am interested in whatever solution you come up with.

--
aem sends...