Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Access Panel

SBH wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
How big is the existing panel now?

15 1/2" w x 29" l

That is one stud bay wide. The idea I mentioned about the plastic
J-channel edging would be Real Easy to implement, since you already have
studs behind the edges. If there is no blocking inside at the top and
bottom, add a couple pieces of 1x inside, held in with screws through
the drywall, and you have your flush-edge opening (once you mud it,
which you will be doing anyway to fix dings and holes before you paint).
Just add blocks in the corners screwed to the studs at a suitable depth
for whatever smooth panel you choose, and screws or velcro or magnet
catches or whatever you decide on, and paint to suit. I'd go with 1/2"
cabinet grade plywood, primed and painted, since it is easy to get the
same texture as drywall on that. The borg sells small pieces pretty
cheap in their project aisle. Hardest part will be making the corners of
the opening as square as the panel is, so you have a uniform tight crack
on all 4 sides. Cut your panel slightly oversize and plane or sand to
fit, for a nice snug fit.

--
aem sends...