Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Question re Stanley 8C Jointer plane

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
Just picked up one of these at a sale and have a few questions.

It's in relatively good condition but I plan on giving it a thorough
tuning. I'm puzzled about the plane iron though - it appears that it has
been ground in a slight arc across the cutting edge as opposed to a 90
degree cut. Is this normal for these planes? I've seen some planes with
a curved blade before but wondering what effect it will have if I grind
straight across.

2nd item - Although it's relatively rust free, the japanning is chipped
in quite a few places. Having it re-japanned ( is that a word??) is not
a viable option as is trying to do that myself. What might be a good
alternative - I was thinking some sort of epoxy paint. Any ideas?

A slight camber on the iron is useful for correcting out of square
conditions and it keeps the corners from leaving tracks. By slight we're
talking about 1/64" at the ends as compared to the middle.

Personally, for a "user" vs. a decoration I wouldn't bother with fixing
the Japanning... but that's me.

John

Thanx John - Actually I agree about the japanning. I'll just clean it up and
leave it.

The iron isn't rounded at the corners, it's a smooth arc from side to side.
I'll grind it square and round the corners as I usually do. Just wasn't
familiar with this plane and wanted to be sure the arc wasn't a design
function.

Vic