Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atheism the fastest growing religious identification

Let the Record show that "RogerN" on or about Sat,
24 Oct 2009 09:50:43 -0500 did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

But calling atheism a religion is actually kind of dumb. Most modern
atheists make their claims based on evidentiary principles -- the version
of "science" they learned in school. They haven't seen the evidence, so
they are "without gods." What we call religion usually is the practice of
theism, and theism is a belief that doesn't require scientific evidence.
You may find a few atheists who are faith-based, like theists, but by no
means does the typical "scientific" theist think that way. They're more
like scientists who don't believe in ghosts or life after death, because
they haven't seen any evidence that they really exist.

--
Ed Huntress

Without proper dictionary definitions.. To not believe (not faith) in God is
different to believe (faith) there is certainly no God.

One person said claiming atheism is a religion is like claiming not
collecting stamps is a hobby. But for some it's like not collecting stamps,
for others it's like a hobby actively collecting things that are not stamps.

But the better comparison, is that there are those who are
obsessed with God/god/divine entities, and there are those who are
not. Just as the censor and the pornographer are both obsessed with
sex, the "militant" atheists are as god obsessed as the most devout
believer.
And it does appear that the militant atheists tend to be anti-the
local dominate deity. Which can lead to some humorous interchanges,
as the militant atheists says "I don't believe in a 'Pink Unicorns
with Blue Bows' kind of deity" and the theist agrees "Neither do I."

The non-god obsessed atheists isn't so much against the concept of
god, as they just lack a referent. "Null Program" is their response
to the whole question. Whether their neighbor believes in one god or
twenty - or none - neither picks their pocket nor breaks their arm.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!