Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Delta DP350 Power Switch - Small Saga

I bought a Delta DP350 drill press in April 2005, and have used it ever
since. A few weeks ago, the switch failed, and one could no longer turn
the drill press on. The problem was mechanical and abrupt - something
in the switch broke.

Delta wants almost $40 for a new switch, which caused a small revolt.

For the record, the old switch is a Kedu model HY52 E195428 02A0428,
20/12 amp 125/150 Vac. No motor HP rating is given on the switch.

With a little research, I was able to find a suitable and mechanically
compatible switch for $3.20. Same current ratings, but also has a 3/4
HP motor rating.

The new switch (a Carling model RGSCC201-R-B-B-E from Allied Electronics
(stock number 683-5523)) was installed yesterday and works just fine.

I bought two switches, and have stored the second switch in a ziplock
bag stored in a cavity within the drill press.

The panel cutout which held the old switch is slightly too long for the
new switch, even though Carling claims the same size cutout, but it was
close enough.

Joe Gwinn