Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt Matt is offline

Default 40" diameter, 80' tall douglas tree going down... how do I make bowls with it?

While I am also not a turner, and cannot suggest how to turn, I can suggest
a strategy ..
With a tree that big, you should be able to obtain enough stock to practice.

Some of your considerations are also going to be how to treat / season the
tree and how long the process will take.
I suggest that research how to prepare and store the wood, and prepare such
a space.

"Cyrille de Brebisson" wrote in message
Hello,

I am not an expert woodturner (more a low lever intermediate), but my
neighbourgh douglas fir, 80' tall and 40" diameter is dead, and will be
cut
on monday.

My neighbourghs want me to make a bowl for each of their kids (7!) as a
memento...

The bowls will likely be salad bowl type, 10" diameter by 5" tall...

What do I do????

should I plan to have the bowls concentric with the tree (ie, the axis of
the bowl being parallel with the fibers. with the tree width, there is
plenty enough room to cut the bowl away from the pit) or the other way
around?

Any advices wouldbe GREATLY apreciated!!!

mostly, how do I avoid cracking!
Where in the tree do I get my blanks from (I know that I do not want to be
anywhere neer the pit or the edges...), but I do not now anymore than
that...

thanks, Cyrille