Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Push in -- pull out fastener ?

On Oct 23, 10:57*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I have an aluminum faceplate that mounts to a chassis and I don't want
any fasteners to appear on the front surface of the faceplate.

I'm after a nice clean look.

This chassis will mount in the wall.

I've looked everywhere (you name it fastenal, specialty hardware
places etc), for a type of fastener that I could use that would allow
me to PUSH this faceplate into some chassis holes and have it stay
there with a sturdy grip.

Then, if you want to remove the faceplate, you grip from behind and
PULL it out.

It sounds simple, but believe it or not there isn't anything out
there.

The closet thing I've seen with potential are plastic "pine tree"
fasteners.

The aluminum faceplate is also pretty thin -- just 3/16" thick.

Any help? *thanks

I've seen something like this, they used a knobbed-end pin and a sheet
metal grabber that sat in a hole. The pins were welded to the
removable piece. The sheet metal parts were just inserted in suitable
holes, had spring fingers to keep from being pulled out on the
opposite side. Now where you can get such things these days, I don't
know. Check the industrial electronic supply places, Allied
Electronics used to have a lot of that hardware when I was a kid.

Stan