Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Repainting semi-gloss? ? ?

On Oct 23, 9:07*am, "Ray" wrote:
I painted bathroom walls six years ago, with a primer undercoat and
semi-gloss latex finish. It's beginning to need touching up.

My question is, do I need to use primer again, or do I just put new
semi-gloss over the existing semi-gloss?

Well, there's need and then there's need. What is happening that
requires touching up? If it is from dings and physical damage, no,
you probably don't need primer. If the paint is separating/bubbling/
lifting from the previous coat, you probably do need primer and the
existing coat may continue to separate over time.

I find it cheap insurance to hit the touch up areas with something
like Benjamin Moore Fresh Start primer. It specifically mentions
going over semi-gloss and even plastic laminate. It has a lot more
stick than some of the other primers.

Do it right, do it once.