Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drafting machine?

On 10/23/2009 7:53 AM WW spake thus:

"Steve Turner" wrote in message

In spite of having used CAD programs for many years (TurboCAD is my most
recent tool, and let's not have this degrade into a Sketchup war, shall
we?) I still resort to (and enjoy!) using pencil and paper for many of my
design activities. I used my Dad's drafting board, T-square, and
triangles for many years, and I still have fond, fond memories of taking
drafting class in high school, one of the two most useful classes I ever
took (typing being the second; and man was that Mrs. Utz a hottie!).
Unfortunately, I no longer have a decent drafting table, the T-square is
long gone, and all I have left are a few triangles and my drafting pencils
and a sharpener. I'd like to rectify that, but then again ever since
taking drafting class I always had a hankering for one of those fancy
drafting machines (like this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichenmaschine.jpg). Does anybody own
one? There are lots of them for sale on eBay; any recommendations?

I just use a simple drafting board and tools as I did in high school. That
is all we had then. Class of 1944. WW

Ah, well, you haven't lived until you've used a drafting machine. Once
you do you'll throw away your T-square. Just imagine: a horizontal rule
that can be set to *any angle* on your drawing board, accurately and
re-settably.