Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Push in -- pull out fastener ?

In article
,
mkr5000 wrote:

Yeah, I use magnetic strip on something else that's similar and it
works nicely -- I may look at that again with this -- thanks for the
reminder.

Trouble is with this, it could be easily tampered with -- really need
something stronger.

Use the right magnets (not rubberized strip junk - rare earth) and
suitable hunks of steel for the them to grab, it will be very strong.
Not hard to get 100 or 200 lbs of force required to pull something off
with modern magnets and good design (flat surfaces that mate well,
enough thickness to provide a good magnetic circuit, no wiggle room to
slide rather than pull.)

If it needs to be "tamper proof" anything that suits your push in, pull
off specification is subject to tampering. Get over the faceless panel
aspect and drop a lock cylinder in it if you want some
tamper-resistance. Or get all cutesy with stepper motors, threaded
studs, and nuts - wind it up or spit it off by remote control. Just hope
the remote control keeps working...

Or use long screws from the opposite side of the wall, with weird
tamper-resistant heads if you want the people who tamper with it to need
to go buy a set of tamper-resistant drivers before they get to tamper
with it.