Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Drafting machine?

On Oct 22, 10:42*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
In spite of having used CAD programs for many years (TurboCAD is my most
recent tool, and let's not have this degrade into a Sketchup war, shall
we?) I still resort to (and enjoy!) using pencil and paper for many of
my design activities. *I used my Dad's drafting board, T-square, and
triangles for many years, and I still have fond, fond memories of taking
drafting class in high school, one of the two most useful classes I ever
took (typing being the second; and man was that Mrs. Utz a hottie!).
Unfortunately, I no longer have a decent drafting table, the T-square is
long gone, and all I have left are a few triangles and my drafting
pencils and a sharpener. *I'd like to rectify that, but then again ever
since taking drafting class I always had a hankering for one of those
fancy drafting machines (like this guy:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichenmaschine.jpg). *Does anybody
own one? *There are lots of them for sale on eBay; any recommendations?

--
If it ain't perfect, improve it...
But don't break it while you're fixin' it!

I still have my K&E and had it rebuilt a few years ago. Fluid drive.
Like silk.
It's not up right now, but will be as soon as I have a place for my
board.
For a quick sketch, to step back, do a tweak, walk into the shop with
it, start building.
For years I had a monitor perched on top my board, keyboard and
trackball on a shelf, and used both systems at the same time.
I guess the big thing to watch for is the problem most machines
develop and that is brake alignment...i.e. when you lock the
mechanics, do the scales stay true to the axis.