Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Drafting machine?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:42:17 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

In spite of having used CAD programs for many years (TurboCAD is my most
recent tool, and let's not have this degrade into a Sketchup war, shall
we?) I still resort to (and enjoy!) using pencil and paper for many of
my design activities. I used my Dad's drafting board, T-square, and
triangles for many years, and I still have fond, fond memories of taking
drafting class in high school, one of the two most useful classes I ever
took (typing being the second; and man was that Mrs. Utz a hottie!).
Unfortunately, I no longer have a decent drafting table, the T-square is
long gone, and all I have left are a few triangles and my drafting
pencils and a sharpener. I'd like to rectify that, but then again ever
since taking drafting class I always had a hankering for one of those
fancy drafting machines (like this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichenmaschine.jpg). Does anybody
own one? There are lots of them for sale on eBay; any recommendations?

We used Vemco drafting machines at Caterpillar until the early 80's
when the digital age was upon us. I would highly recommend Vemco.

Fortunately I got a copy of Wildfire 2 (Pro-Engineer predecessor)
about the time I retired and every project I do I model it with
Wildfire.

Gordon Shumway

One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that
it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.