Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewage gases: check valve?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:11:51 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My washer is basically at the same level as the main stack (or whatever
its horizontal equivalent). So there is not sufficient elevation to have
a p-trap on the exhaust (take my word for it - I just can't do it).

So I bought a check valve at HD. I think it's intended for a sump pump.
Will it solve my problem?

And if so - what's the best location to install it. The PVC exhaust that
the washer drains into has a vertical part that then flows into a
horizontal part. Is better to install the check valve is far down the
stream as possible? or the other way around? or six of one?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron

another thought, unless your stated 'horizontal line' is on the ceiling,
all you have to do is get above it. The washer will pump several feet
of head without problem.

He said about 18 inches below the ceiling. There is NO problem Just
install as I recommended in an earlier post, as advised by my plumber.