Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave in Houston[_2_] Dave in Houston[_2_] is offline

Default landscape timber deer planter plan

"Leon" wrote in message

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33423672...ews-terrorism/
"Leon" wrote in message

BTY I used the Domino yesterday to cut 192 mortise slots to receive 96
loose domino tennons.

I am starting the second stage of the bedroom project, head and foot
board and under bed storage. I need 3.5" x 3.5" posts for the corners
of the head and foot boards. And I need about 15 linear feet of post
material. Pricing solid oak at $40 a linear foot in that size prompted
me to make hollow birch plywood posts, I'll veneer with 3/16" thick
white oak. Ill be doing some resawing today. The dominos were used to
build up the posts, I might have gotten a little carried away. ;~)

From time to time I notice that HD carries [what appears to be] eight
foot 4X4 fir posts, straight-grained even. Could these have been
veneered or is the hollow birch plywood required for stability?

Yes, I have considered fence posts but "straight" and as you mentioned,
stability, is important to me. Plus I am at the moment planing on
attaching the head board and foot board to the under bed storage unit via
the posts. I want to use machine thread bolts and will probably use
T-nuts inside the posts to receive the bolts.

I never considered these as "fence posts" per se. They are untreated
and appear to be S4S. They actually look pretty good.

Dave in Houston