Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Gear Motor Failure Modes?

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:59:49 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

My shooting club has motorized target carriers on the indoor range.
They use "Maxtorq" gear motors, and one isn't working. The motor
shaft spins, but the output shaft doesn't. It doesn't make any excess
noise like grinding of gears or anything. These have been in place
since at least 1970, and they have been so realible that I don't know
if anyone is around who knows much about them.

I suspect either a set screw or Woodruff key has let go in the
gearbox, but it's also possible that a shaft has snapped or a gear hub
has busted loose. I've never worked on one of these things & was
wondering if I should concentrate on finding a spare (we may have some
someplace), or try to repair it. If it's likely to be a quick fix, I
can leave it wired up & work on the gearbox end. Otherwise I'll have
to completely dismount it. The winter pistol league has just started,
and we need every firing point we have.

Thanks!

Pull the gearbox. Its the only way you are going know what happened.

And frankly...you are going to start having failures in the other
carriers before long..so best pop one open now..so you will have an
idea of what spares to snag when the rest of them start going tits up.

It will likely be the same issue with the rest of them when they start
going. Every device has at least one weak spot over time..and its
common to all of them.

nearly 40 yrs operation..the weak link is starting to crumble.

Excellent idea! I can also start a search on eBay for spare motors.

Thanks!

Doug White