Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Sewage gases: check valve?

wrote:
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:24:56 +0000 (UTC), Wayne Whitney

On 2009-10-21, Aaron Fude wrote:

The washer is in the basement. The 4" cast iron drain runs 18" below
the ceiling. So to have a 36" standpipe I would need to go through
the ceiling and into a bay in the wall on the first floor, which I
can't do because my wall sit on steel beams.

Not sure what plumbing code you are under, but I believe the IPC
states:

802.4 Standpipes. Standpipes shall be individually trapped.
Standpipes shall extend a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) and a maximum
of 42 inches (1066 mm) above the trap weir.

So an 18" standpipe is adequate. Is there anyway you can fit that in,
with the P-trap and the transition from 2" to 4"?

Cheers, Wayne

No standpipe required at all with a direct mechanical connection.
No vent required when connected directly into the top of a 4" pipe. No
trap required if the directly connected washer unit holds water in the
pump when shut down (which it most definitely will if pumping up 60
inches or so into the pipe.

In Ontario.