Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default no-cap fridges

Yea, I'm three weeks behind so shoot me.

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
It's labeled "PTC Relay" on the schematic. Depending on the model,
you might get lucky and find that it's removable.

It is. But there's no cap.

It's probably inside the compressor case.

Thanks. The diagram shows that the relay is replaceable. However, I
doubt that's the problem. It might be that the overload sensor is
tripping too early. Tear the relay and overload assembly apart, clean
all the junk out, clean the contacts, and look for damage. You might
get lucky.

A PTC relay is solid state, like the degauss posistor in a CRT TV set.

I fixed a 20+ year old Whirlpool with a bad overload. The repair
consisted of taking out the start relay (bouncing armature type) and the
bi-metal click disk overload switch, and gluing a GE brand PTC relay on
the side of the compressor with silicone glop and tie-wraps. (It includes
the overload function). Three wires: 1) power in from the main thermostat
and/or defrost timer, 2) start and 3) run wires to the compressor.

Mark Zenier