Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Air admittence valve - get away with 50mm?

Tim W
wibbled on Thursday 15 October 2009 11:11

I have a 4m 110 soil pipe running from a centre bathroom under the floor
to a chamber outside. The next chamber along (top end of drains) is open
vented correctly.

In the bathroom, I will be connecting the sink into the toilet pipe.

Bog+sink into 110mm pipe. It clearly needs an air valve but I'd like to
check a couple of things:

Might I get away with a 50mm jobbie, like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42968/

(I'm not worried about being "by the book", just whether it's likely to
work).

Otherwise if I have to use a 110mm version, does it need to be installed
above the flood level (so above the bog rim I suppose) or can it be
installed lower? The 50mm one above suggests 100mm above pipes and below
flood level.

It will be plugging into the top of one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12454

Bog goes in the side port and the sink goes into one of the small side
bosses.

Sorry if this is dumb - never used an AAV before...

Ta

Tim

OK - I got a Floplast 32/40/50 mm one. A highly scientific mouth suck test
shows it seems to allow loads of air through and its operation is silient
(no farty noises) other than a hiss.

We'll see how well it works in reality.

Ta

Tim