Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Gear Motor Failure Modes?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:59:49 GMT, the infamous Doug White
scrawled the following:

My shooting club has motorized target carriers on the indoor range. They
use "Maxtorq" gear motors, and one isn't working. The motor shaft spins,
but the output shaft doesn't. It doesn't make any excess noise like
grinding of gears or anything. These have been in place since at least
1970, and they have been so realible that I don't know if anyone is around
who knows much about them.

I suspect either a set screw or Woodruff key has let go in the gearbox, but
it's also possible that a shaft has snapped or a gear hub has busted loose.
I've never worked on one of these things & was wondering if I should
concentrate on finding a spare (we may have some someplace), or try to
repair it. If it's likely to be a quick fix, I can leave it wired up &
work on the gearbox end. Otherwise I'll have to completely dismount it.
The winter pistol league has just started, and we need every firing point
we have.

I'll bet it's a shear pin that let loose. And in a public setting, it
has probably been in service like that for long enough that the broken
nubs are worn down and it doesn't make noise any more.

There's likely an inspection or access plate on the geared end so
you'll probably be able to work on it live. Just make sure to tape the
switch down so nobody accidentally causes you to be one of the targets
moving along the line, Doug.

let's see, an array of screwdrivers, a 1/4" drive set, a transfer
punch set, a small hammah, and some needle nose pliers oughta do ya.
Don't forget the tub of moly wheel bearing grease to re-lube it after
you're done. Oh, add a roll of paper towels and tube of hand soap.

Got shear pin-, cotter pin-, or roll pin-sets?

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong