Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Problem with Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV when turning on

Sylvia Else wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Could it be that all it needed was a couple more cycles
of its own degaussing?

Likely. It also might be that the shadow mask got warped, and
repeated handling knocked it back into shape.

Just for the record, and for the benefit of anyone who comes across
this in the archive, further online research revealed that part of the
purpose of the degaussing process is to *magnetise* the shadow mask in
such a way as to cancel out the Earth's magnetic field in the space
between the mask and the screen. This is the reason the shadow mask is
made of a magnetisable material (which otherwise would seem a strange
design choice).

So my experience can be adequately explained by the fact that I
powered the TV up while it was in a completely different orientation
from normal. It was then entirely possible that this would take
several degaussing cycles to undo properly once I had the TV back in
the normal position. The situation was further confused by my failure
to realise that this model only degausses when powered up from the
mains, and not when going from standby to on. It's necessary to power
it down completely for a while before powering it up again for it to
do its degaussing.

So I guess that's that.

Sylvia.

Its also why many have a manual degauss button or menu selection.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.