Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default spindle turning with template

I mostly do faceplate turning, and have been asked to
do some spingle turning. This is for a science fair project my department
is doing on speech, and I'll be turning spindles with iregular
shapes to help model vocal tracts (we'll use them as a form to cast
clay or plaster hollows from, then play air through them).

I have a printout of the shapes (based on measurements of human vocal
tracts during vowel production), and am planning to transfer them to
templates I can use to check the turnings against. I've never done this
before.

Any tips?

Any websites with walkthroughs of using templates with complex curves
(i.e. marking out the blank, etc/)?

Thanks,

Andy Barss