Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default OT traffic lights

On Oct 22, 7:09 am, "Roger R" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Why do traffic engineers make you wait at the red light for 10 or more
seconds before the green light for the cross road changes to orange?

The waiting time for the lights to change that you describe is the period
between green ending one way and green appearing the other is known as the
intergreen period.

I'm not talking about the intergreen period. I'm talking about the
period from when the bus arrives at a red light until the green light
on an empty cross road changes to orange.
I maintain that that period should be zero seconds.
Nobody has come up with a good reason for that period to be. say, 10
seconds or more.